Monday, March 26, 2012

Pinterest Review - Tub & Shower Magic

MCCALL MAGAZINE COVER, GIRL IN RAIN by George Eastman House


I made the Tub & Shower Magic that I found here. I LOVE cleaning with vinegar. I just wasn't sure about all of that Dawn...So, here's what I found. I mixed up the solution with a 13oz of vinegar and a 10.3oz bottle of Dawn. The only reason that I did it this way, instead of equal parts, is because of the size of the bottle of Dawn. As a side note, which will help in making this recipe even cheaper, Walgreen's regularly runs this size of Dawn on sale for 99 cents (I price match at WalMart to save the trip) and you can almost always find a 50 cents off Dawn coupon monthly in the Sunday coupon circulars.


The cleaner worked really well. My tub and shower tiles sparkled. However, it was VERY thick! And, you can imagine, there were quite a lot of suds and I spent a good deal of time rinsing and re-rinsing to get the bubbles down the drain. So, after I'd used it a few times, I added about 4 more ounces vinegar to the bottle. It worked just as well.

After using this cleaner for months, I recommend a solution of closer to 3-5oz. of Dawn or any other dish detergent and the rest vinegar. This is a more cost effective solution while being just as adequate a cleaner without all the suds.

2 comments:

  1. I did this too- didn't measure and used the orange dawn and it worked. I was so happy as we get a lot of grime/oil residue from my husband's work. now i need to do the grout cleaner recipe i found on pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need something for my showers/tubs. We have hard water here. I used to hear people make comments all the time about cleaning and hard water. I alway assumed they were exaggerating, lazy, or just did not know how to clean. UGH!!

    I'll have to give this a try. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete