Thursday, August 11, 2011

Distractions

Interesting that on the first post of the first day of my blog, I have to confess that I have failed, because, while this blog is not necessarily about failing, I do it...A LOT. This blog is more about getting back up after you've failed, recognizing where you've gone wrong, and taking steps to fix it.

So, here's the background. I've struggled as a wife and a homemaker...in eating that elephant...for over 11 years now. I tend to just get overwhelmed, stick my head in my sand and hope that the dust bunnies don't cause too much damage. Stupid, I know, but, we all have our eccentricities.

This week, I had started anew. I was going to get it together. My oldest child was driving. My second was officially starting 1st grade in home school. No more, "Yeah, we really think it's best to just not push it too soon," conversations, and, to put the cherry on top of that large dollop of whipped cream, my twins are on the verge of turning 4. They can make their own beds, for heaven's sake! Head out of sand...

I bought a binder. I printed off some checklists. (May God richly bless you Money Saving Mom!) Monday went wonderfully. Tuesday? Even better! Wednesday I was even able to go out and buy a huge load of school supplies for less than $10 and raised my voice at none of my children in either store...cue halo sparkle.

HOWEVER, this is Thursday. Everything started off so well. We all got up & were following those lists. The boys had eaten, made their beds, and started their daily chores. And that's when it happened...the phone rang. Not usually a big deal. on. off. carry on. However, this happened to be my cousin, who I usually talk to several times a week and whom I had not spoken to in almost two weeks because she had been out of town on a mother/daughter retreat and who I just had to talk to...now...for over an hour.....while snapping at and shushing the kids...and putting on a video...and not doing what needed done around the house.

Now, this also would not have been a day ruiner if I had not allowed it to be, but, as usually happens in these situations, I look at the clock, think to myself, "Self, there goes the day and well, the kids are still watching that video, so you may as well sit down and work on a ring." All logic has gone out the window at this point. Looking back, I wish I could give myself a bit of a shake and a smack, wake myself up.

You'll be glad to know that I put down the ring, got the kids a snack, got in the shower, and chose to be a blessing to my family and not a curse. If God taught me one thing from having twins, it was that sometimes, you have to make your choices moment by precious moment. Today, for one hour, I chose what was good over what was best. Then I shook the fog out of my head, picked up my fork and took one more bite of that elephant.

No comments:

Post a Comment