Friday, August 12, 2011

"Me-isms" in the Kitchen

So, at 4:30p.m. yesterday, my kitchen looked good. No, I mean really good. Better than it had in a long time. I started dinner, smooched all my boys and had a night out at a dear friend's Thirty-One party and didn't return until after the boys were in bed and my dear husband was in the basement playing his guitar - something he gets very little time to do these days.

Fast forward to this morning. When I walked into the kitchen, it was an absolute disaster - pans on the stove, a plate of zucchini and a bowl of flour on the counter, 2 sinks full of dishes, AND a partially loaded dishwasher...Harumpf! How did my perfectly clean kitchen turn into this?! I could feel it boiling up...the real question: why didn't my scoundrel of a husband just clean all of this up? How hard is it really? I mean, the binder with the checklist was right there and it was even open!! He knows how hard it is for me to get things done with 3 boys here. And why was he playing guitar when I got home?! What did he have to do, anyway? Let's see, OK, he did have to feed the kids. Big deal. I made their plates before I left! This just kept getting better and better! Well, he did have to bathe all three of them by himself...as he has done since they were all born...fine. He did worship with them as he does every night...hmmm...He did get them all in bed...alone...while I was out...having a night off...gulp...This bite seems to have a bone in it. ouch.

Funny how quickly we buy into that McDonald's "You deserve a break today" mentality. You know what I should have seen in that kitchen? The blessings of a kitchen in which to cook, a family to feed, food to eat, work to do, and a healthy body to get the work done, but I didn't. I chose, like the Israelites in the desert to pout about what I didn't have, about what I thought I deserved. God, may I see the many blessings in beautiful messes around me today.


No comments:

Post a Comment