Thursday, October 20, 2011

Watch Out Krispy Kreme!

OK, one more recipe.  This one was a little easier than it should have been...HOMEMADE DONUTS...


I mean, something that scrumptious should be painstakingly difficult, right?  My thighs are sorry to say, no.

I used my bread machine to make the dough.  Here is the recipe:

1/2c milk
1/4c water
1/4c vegetable oil
1 egg (room temperature)
1 tsp salt
1/4c sugar
3c bread flour
2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast

I used the dough cycle, which took about an hour and a half.  Here are the directions for when the dough is done:

When the cycle ends, remove the dough from the pan and turn onto a lightly floured surface.  Roll the dough 1/2" thick. Cut with a 2 1/2" doughnut cutter (I used a Mason jar lid, thus, no hole). Cover with a cloth and allow to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.

Deep fry at 375 degrees (I do not have a deep fryer.  I used a skillet w/ an inch of vegetable oil on medium high), turning doughnuts as they rise to the surface.  Fry until golden brown on both sides.  Drain on paper towels.

Makes 24 doughnuts.

My glaze got a bit out of hand.  I used too much milk.  The proper balance of milk to confectioners sugar is: 2c confectioners sugar to 3Tbsp milk.  You could also just roll them in sugar, confectioners sugar, or cinnamon sugar.  I plan on trying all of these combinations over the coming months :)

3 comments:

  1. Oh shut up!! Why are you making this possible for me????!!!

    Also- i'm really glad you have a blog.

    erin f.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe cream or custard filled.....mmmmmm......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! My! Heat up the oil and fire up the coffee pot, I'm on my way.

    ReplyDelete