Monday, November 10, 2014

Biscuit Topped Chicken Pot Pie

Here is my kitchen confession: I am terrible at pie crusts. I've tried. I've come close, but it usually ends with me yelling...at a pie crust...hardly worth it. I usually either buy my pie crusts, which I hate doing or come up with an alternative. That is the case with this recipe. It's basically a chicken pot pie with no yelling at the dough.

INGREDIENTS

1 - 1 ½lbs chicken breast cut into ½ inch pieces
1 onion, chopped
1½ Tbsp olive oil
1 ½ Tbsp butter
¼c flour
1 ½c milk
1lb bag frozen mixed vegetables
Salt & pepper to taste

For biscuits:
½c butter (1 stick)
2c flour
2tsp baking powder
1tsp salt
¾c buttermilk


  • Preheat oven to 425°
  • Melt the oil and butter in a large skillet; add onion, cooking until they begin to soften, about 2-3 minutes. Add chicken, salt & pepper, cook until cooked through.
  • Sprinkle flour over the onion & oil, stir to coat. Add milk. Cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbly. Add frozen vegetables, stir to combine, cook until softened.
  • For biscuits, cut the cold butter into pats in a large bowl. Add the next three ingredients; cut with a biscuit cutter or two forks until the mixture resembles a coarse crumble. Add the buttermilk, stir to until a dough forms. Knead several times. Divide into 8 flattened biscuits.
Full disclosure here. I don't buy buttermilk. Anytime a recipe calls for buttermilk, I use slightly less milk and add a tablespoon or two (depending on the amount of milk) of lemon juice, let it sit for a couple of minutes, and then add it to the recipe.
  • Pour the chicken and vegetable mixture into a greased 8½ x 11 pan. Top with biscuits. Bake at 425° for 25-30 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown.

Price Breakdown

Chicken $1.79
Oil/butter 65¢
Onion 35¢
Flour 55¢
Milk 45¢
Mixed vegetables $1
Spices/baking powder 10¢

Total $4.89
Price per serving (8 servings) 62¢

No comments:

Post a Comment