Thursday, November 3, 2011

Eat What You Have - Day 3

I wasn't sure how tonight was going to go over.  My guys usually love breakfast for dinner, but we are talking biscuits and gravy breakfast for dinner and I go and pull this.  I kept my fingers crossed and it seemed to be a hit!  Woo hoo!  It really was quite yummy, though I think it is more likely to end up in our Saturday morning breakfast rotation than on our usual dinner menu.  I had the twins split a serving. All plates were cleaned, and the skillet was empty at the end of the meal. If our 16 year-old lineman were here tonight I would have doubled this recipe, but, as it stands, it only cost about $5.25!  If you try it, let me know what you think.

Potato Hash with Spinach and Eggs

Ingredients:
1lb white potatoes, cut into 1/4" chunks (I left the skin on mine)
salt
3TBSP unsalted butter
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded & chopped
red pepper flakes to taste (I used about 1/2tsp - the twins said it was too spicy...A added Cajun seasoning...)
10oz package fresh spinach
8 large eggs

1. In a large, heavy skillet with a lid, bring potatoes to a boil in salted water on high; Cook until potatoes are tender, about 5 minutes, Drain and set aside.
2. In skillet, melt 2TBSP butter over med-high.  Add onion and bell pepper, salt.  Cook until softened, about 12 minutes. Add potatoes and red pepper flakes and cook until browned, about 3 minutes.
3. Add 1TBSP butter to potato mixture and add spinach, a handful at a time, stirring until wilted, salt.  Make 4 wells  in the mixture.  Crack 2 eggs into each well and reduce heat to med-low.  Cover and cook until whites are set, but yolks are still runny, about 6-8 minutes.  Serve immediately. Serves 4

Modified from Martha Stewart Everyday Food

No comments:

Post a Comment