Saturday, November 26, 2011

Grocery shopping

I've heard lots of different opinions from lots of different people on which grocery store is "best."  I say the one that gives you the best value.  I had a real eye opener this week and it is not the first or second time that this has happened to me.  I had to buy some milk, eggs, juice, fruit, potatoes - those sorts of things this week, along with a few items to make special holiday dishes.  I went through all of the ads, checked prices, gathered coupons, and made my list to take to Wal-Mart for price matching. Eight of the ten items on my price match list were cheaper at Wal-Mart than the other stores' sale prices.

 I don't want to shop at a store that lures me in with loss leaders only to charge me more for everything else.  I don't want to pay more for my groceries for the ambiance and a Starbucks - which is just going to charge you for one cup what you should be paying for a whole can.  I want to spend as little as possible on the products my family needs and use the money left over to save for a family vacation or a new HVAC or a date night.  That's my 2 cents.

2 comments:

  1. I have noticed the same. Except, for some reason, I have not been impressed with grocery prices at the Wal-Mart here. Some are good, but many are just so-so. However, we have a Winco here and their prices are the best hands-down. But, again you have that atmosphere. There is nothing chic about Winco. I really don't like shopping there, but I do it because of the prices.

    The absolute best thing that ever happened to my grocery bill was paying in cash. Have you heard of Dave Ramsey? Following his plan has made a night and day difference in our finances. (For what it's worth.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do wish there were an Aldi closer to us. I have been considering adding a monthly trip over to Aldi to see if it makes any difference.

    I have certainly heard of Dave Ramsey. We have a credit card that gets paid in full every month. We keep the limit right where it will cover ONLY groceries, gas, and our Sunday meals. We chose to do this only because we bank at a small credit union and keep only one ATM card. It makes it much easier when one of us needs to fill up. However, I do think that Dave Ramsey has great principals!

    ReplyDelete