Saturday, November 12, 2011

Eat What You Have Days 9-11

Untitled by 19/77
Untitled, a photo by 19/77 on Flickr.
So, we have smooth sailing 'round 'ere to be a third of the way through the month. Our stores are still looking pretty good. I've had to make one run to the grocery for milk and fruit, other than that, we've not really noticed any difference! Yay!

On Day 9 we had Cornbread and Beef Skillet Pie. The only adaptations I made were 1. omitting the mushrooms 2. adding some oregano to the beef mixture and 3. baking it in a 9 x 13 pan. I've also made this with garlic instead of onion, added some basil to the beef mixture, and some Parmesan cheese to the cornbread - pretty yummy!

On Day 10, we had Honey Mustard Smoked Sausage and Potatoes. It started out as this recipe. We have made several changes each time we've made it. I make my own honey mustard as needed. Honey + dijon mustard - it's not rocket science. It's much cheaper than buying prepared honey mustard and takes up less space in your fridge. I rarely keep dry white wine in the house. I usually make it with a wheat beer, at least that is my favorite way. Last night, I made it with brandy - not as good as beer, but tasty nonetheless. I also tend to use russet potatoes, because they are cheap and I usually have them on hand.

On Day 11, we ate up the leftovers from the past few nights. Tonight is the first time in a LONG time that I can remember having not one container of leftover food in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment