Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Preschool "Busy Bag" Ideas

I've been trying to look for some ideas to keep the twins engaged while working with Julius during our homeschooling hours.  Coloring just doesn't get it.  It lasts about 15 seconds.  Most of the ideas I've found have come from moms with 1. all girls or 2. no older children.  They just weren't working for us.  I stumbled across a mom at www.littlehandsbigwork.com.  She has LOTS of great stuff for boys and moms with lots o' little ones.  Here are pics of a few ideas we have snagged from her that have bought us some valuable teaching time and made for some very proud little guys!





Sorting by color

They LOVED putting the stickers on the letters!

Can't remember if this was her idea or not! But the boys loved it.

Washers, nails, screws, paper clips, and cut up pipe cleaners in a container with a strong magnet.

3 comments:

  1. Those are awesome ideas. I remember trying to do school with my older two when the youngest was under three. VERY DIFFICULT. Stickers and cutting were the two things that kept her the busiest the longest.

    Cutting and pasting also appeals to boys and girls alike. However, there is the inherent danger of scissors. Ask me how I know.

    I love that number card idea. Wish I had thought of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ames,the scissor/paste combo times two strikes fear in my heart...of course you are a braver woman than I ;)

    Please pass on any more ideas...PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, ha! You are not a real mom until you have had a scissors incident. Preferably one involving hair. You get extra points for hair. I have had incidents involving scissors and hair with each of my girls. I can hardly wait until it happens to them. :-)

    How are they with Lego/K'nex/blocks? You could give them an "assignment" with those. You could start simple. . . "build the letter A". You could move on to words. Or, animals. Build a "mammal". Or, measurements. Build something that is 6 inches long. You could build something the night before and then see if they can duplicate it. The possibilities are endless.

    Even now, I have "creative" days with the girls. Occasionally, I will tell them that they can do whatever they want for school that day, with one stipulation, they have to create something. It is always very interesting to see what they come up with.

    ReplyDelete